RDAEF2-ITR Program 2020 (Current RDAs or RDH)
DUE TO COVID-19, WE HAVE BEEN REQUIRED TO SHUT DOWN AS NON-ESSENTIAL. DATE WILL BE POSTED AFTER JUNE. WE WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.
We are Dental Board of California Approved with an Approval # EF 013. We provide a comprehensive program with 410 hours of instruction, combining online lectures, hands-on laboratory and live patient clinical experiences; Certification programs for both RDAs and existing RDAEFs or RDH's
Applicant entry requirements for this program are as follows:
- Hold a current RDA or RDAEF1 or RDH
- Have a driver’s license or photo ID
- California Radiation Health and Safety certification
- Coronal Polish certification
- Pit & Fissure Sealant certification
- 2 Hour Dental Practice Act
- 2 Hour Infection Control
- Proof of Liability Insurance Coverage
- CPR-BLS certification for healthcare providers through the American Red Cross or American Heart Association
- Currently employed with a minimum of 1 year or verification from the previous employer.
- Verification from a health professional that the student has been immunized against: Hepatitis B, and Rubella (MMR-measles, mumps, rubella vaccine) and evidence of a negative tuberculin test, within six months of application or adequate follow-up in the case of a positive test.
- Submit program application with a $3000 deposit non-refundable
- Externship Extramural Facility Instruction for Supervising Dentist
- Mandatory attendance is required for all supervising dentists on orientation day. The supervising dentist must take and complete the mandatory 6 hour CE Teaching Methodology for clinical evaluation workshop AND sign the externship/ supervising dentist contract for the RDAEF course.
Our program offers RDAs and existing RDAEF1s an affordable opportunity to complete the education and qualify for licensure to perform procedures such as:
COURSE STRUCTURE: Online Blended
Each course is broken into four modules that must be completed for credit in the course; a module usually consists of our Blended online discussion board, chapters of reading, some short-answer reading response questions and an additional assignment that could be a case study, or a short paper or an assignment that applies to the subject matter presented in the reading, quizzes, and final written exam.
- Dental Instruments, 6th Edition
- Dental Materials, 3rd Edition
- Wheeler's Dental Anatomy, Physiology, and Occlusion, 10th Edition
- Endodontics, 5th Edition
- Contemporary Fixed Prosthodontics, 5th Edition
- Craig's Restorative Dental Materials, 14th Edition
A deposit will cover all course materials, textbooks, and online program fees. Although, students will be responsible for the purchase of there own magnification loupes, typodont, and bench mount. All students are required to have access to a laptop, computer or tablet for the online presentations, assignments, study materials, quizzes, discussion board, Skype and email for correspondence or posted on our online Blended Learning Canvas. You will need access to a computer to complete required homework assignments.
This 410-hour program trains and prepares currently licensed RDAs to perform all of the new procedures in extended functions which include:
- Performing patient oral health evaluations, charting and evaluating soft tissue, classifying occlusion and myofunctional evaluation
- Performing oral health assessments in a community and school-based settings under the direction of a dentist, RDH or RDHAP
- Sizing and fitting endodontic master points and accessory points
- Taking final impressions for tooth-borne removable prostheses
- Polishing and contouring existing amalgam restorations
- Placing, contouring, finishing and adjusting all direct restorations
- Adjusting and cementing permanent indirect restorations
- Cord retraction of gingiva for impression procedures
- Cementing endodontic master points and accessory points
- Taking final impressions for permanent indirect restorations
- All other procedures authorized and adopted by the Dental Board*
*Please see Section 1753.6 of the California Business and Professions Code
The total length of the program: Nine (9) months
This RDAEF course meets state board approved instruction needs for the new RDAEF licensure. The course consists of three aspects:
- Didactic: (home study/online/in-class lectures) Students will learn the theoretical aspects relating to RDAEF duties and procedure.
- Laboratory: Students will learn the step-by-step procedures of the RDAEF through laboratory experience with a typodont.
- Clinical: Students will be required to complete the qualified treatment of clinical patients, a state board requirement for students to complete the course.
Program Module Agenda:
Orientation: April 4, 2020
8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Module A: April - June 2020
April 25 & 26
May 30 & 31
June 6 &7; 13 & 14; 27 & 28
- Regulations: Dental Assisting scope of practice
- Dental sciences and materials related to course procedures
- Tooth isolation and matrix methodology related to restorative dentistry
- Bases and liners placement related to restorative dentistry
- Oral Health assessment including intra and extraoral tissue evaluation, occlusal and myofunction evaluation and charting in traditional and community health project settings?
- Advanced Esthetic Provisional - Temporary Crown
- Placement and finishing of Class I and V direct filling restorations, including amalgam, composite and glass-ionomer restorations
- Implementation of new expanded functions into a dental practice
- 6 unit anterior provisional involving #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11
- Veneer #9, 3 unit bridge on #11, #12, #13 and Single-unit crown #3
- Empress preparation - # 3 MODL Onlay
- HD silicone prepped models
- Vacuum formed polypropylene copings for the prepped silicone models
- Rigid urethane with no preps used for preliminary
- Students are required to purchase their own loupes.
- Advanced Esthetic Provisional - Temporary Crown
Module B: July - September 2020
July 11 & 12; 25 & 26
August 1 & 2; 22 & 23
September 12 & 13; 26 & 27
- Placement and finishing of Class 1, 2, 3, 4 direct filling restorations for children and adults
- Polish and contour existing amalgam restorations
Module C: September - December 2020
October 3 & 4; 24 & 25
November 7 & 8; 21 & 22
December 5 & 6; 12 & 13
- Impression taking for tooth-borne prostheses
- Adjustment and cementation of permanent indirect restorations of ceramic, PFM and cast metal
- Cementation of endodontic points
- Clinical experience in placement and finishing of Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 direct filling restorations for children and adult
Module D: January 2021 (2 weekends)
January 11 & 12; 25 & 26
Interim Therapeutic Restoration (ITR) Technique Program for the RDAEF2
Dental Board of California Approval # ITR 04
California law specifies that ITRs can be placed after the diagnosis and direction of the supervising dentist to stabilize a tooth with a cavitated lesion until the dentist determines that additional treatment is required. ITRs provided by allied dental professionals must be completed with hand instrumentation only and must not require dental anesthesia to complete.
ITR Certification for the RDAEF2
Effective 1/1/2015, RDAEFs licensed on or after 1/1/2010 became authorized to perform two (2) additional duties in both a dental office setting or in a public health setting, head start program, preschool program or community clinic. Those duties are:
- (1) Expose emergency radiographs upon the direction of the dentist.
- (2) If the dental auxiliary is a registered dental assistant in extended functions, a registered dental hygienist, or a registered dental hygienist in alternative practice, determine and perform radiographs for the specific purpose of aiding a dentist in completing a comprehensive diagnosis and treatment plan for a patient using telehealth, as defined by Section 2290.5, for the purpose of communication with the supervising dentist pursuant to Sections 1753.55, 1910.5, and 1926.05. A dentist is not required to review patient records or make a diagnosis using telehealth.
- (3) Perform extra-oral duties or functions specified by the dentist.
- (4) Perform mouth-mirror inspections of the oral cavity, to include charting of obvious lesions, malocclusions, existing restorations, and missing teeth.
- (b) For purposes of this section, “patient of record” refers to a patient who has been examined, has had a medical and dental history completed and evaluated, and has had oral conditions diagnosed and a written plan developed by the licensed dentist.
EFs certified in ITR may perform these duties without direct supervision using the standards and protocols set by the dentist.
- Current BLS Certification (American Red Cross or American Heart Association: Healthcare Provider course only) – Please bring a copy of you're certification card with you on the day of the course.
- Must show evidence of current, active status as a Registered Dental Assistant in Extended Functions, licensed on or after 1/1/2010
What are the Dental Board Requirements for the RDAEF2 candidates?
RDAEF2 will be required to sit and pass Dental Board administered written and practical examinations. This examination will include:
- Successful completion of two of the following procedures on a simulated patient head mounted in appropriate position and accommodation an articulated typodont in an enclosed intra-oral environment or mounted on a dental chair in a dental operatory
- Place, condense and carve an amalgam restoration
- Place and contour a nonmetallic direction restoration
- Polish and contour an existing amalgam restoration
- Passage of a state-administered written examination.
Course clinical Dates may be subject to change
Photographing, recording or videotaping any Dental Specialties Institute's program is not allowed without advance written permission From time to time, a photographer may be present and taking photographs of various courses, instructors and attendees for marketing and advertising purposes. Participants not wishing to be photographed should inform the course director, photographer.
Discounted Price: $15,500.00
Program Dates:Orientation Students only
April 25th, 2020
8:00 am - 3:00 pm